Logistics industry no choice but to adapt to new vehicle restrictions


PETALING JAYA: Despite new restrictions on heavy vehicles during peak hours being a disadvantage to logistic companies, the body concerned says its members will abide by the new law.

Association of Malaysia Hau­liers (AMH) executive secretary Mohamad Azuan Masud said the logistic industry had no choice as the new law had been gazetted and enforced.

“We will do whatever we can to adapt to the new restrictions, although we expect it to cause substantial operational and financial burden to our hauliers.

“In the first place, this new law should not have been gazetted last October before consulting the industry as we are the ones most affected by it,” he said when contacted.

Besides disrupting supply chain efficiency, Mohamad Azuan said the restrictions would likely lead to welfare issues, with heavy vehi­cle drivers forced to work irregular hours.

He said the restricted opera­ting hours would also further exacerbate the driver shortage issue.

“With drivers having to make deliveries on time, it will increase their fatigue level and pose road safety risks to all.

“The vehicles may also be more susceptible to breakdowns due to longer waiting and travel times, with route diversions increasing fuel consumption as well as vehicle wear and tear,” he said.

Mohamad Azuan said AMH would engage with the Transport Ministry to re-evaluate the new restriction and at the very least, introduce some mitigation mea­sures for the logistic industry.

“Even if we cannot get the law removed, at the very least we are hoping the current three-hour restriction period during the morning and evening peak hours can be reduced as it essentially wastes six working hours daily for heavy vehicle drivers.

“We welcome further discussions with the minister to find a solution that addresses traffic congestion while ensuring the sustainability of the logistics sector,” he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read