Religious teacher's defence team to file representation to review child sexual assault charges


SEREMBAN: The defence team for a religious teacher facing three charges of committing physical sexual assault on a child told the Sessions Court here they will be filing a representation to review the charges.

Datuk Hanif Hassan, who represented 44-year-old Mohd Hafidz Eshak told Judge Surita Budin on Monday (Feb 17) that his team would file the representation to the Attorney General’s Chambers this week.

Mohd Hafidz had claimed trial when charged in September last year.

He allegedly committed the offences against the girl in March, June and August last year at a house and a religious centre in Port Dickson.

The girl was 13 years and nine months old when the first offence was allegedly committed.

The accused, who was the chairman of the religious centre, was charged under Section 14(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017, which provides for a maximum jail term of 20 years and caning upon conviction.

Earlier, Hanif told the court that his team had also filed a representation related to another charge faced by the same accused at a Port Dickson Magistrate's Court but had yet to receive a reply.

"We have been waiting for the reply to the representation we filed in October in relation to the charge at a PD Magistrate's Court.

"We will now go ahead and file representations for both cases," he said.

Mohd Hafidz Eshak had also claimed trial at the magistrate’s court to a charge of using criminal force with the intention to molest a teacher undergoing practical training at a religious centre.

He allegedly committed the offence against the 19-year-old victim at the centre at around 6.40pm on Aug 18 last year.

Judge Surita then told the defence team to file the representations separately so that the case can proceed.

She then fixed March 18 to hear the outcome of the representation.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Nurul Balkis Zunaidi prosecuted.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged

Others Also Read