Remand extended for man accused of threatening Harith Iskander


PETALING JAYA: The remand for the 31-year-old man detained for allegedly threatening popular comedian Harith Iskander and his family has been extended, says Tan Sri Razarudin Husain.

The Inspector-General of Police stated that the suspect was initially remanded until Tuesday (Jan 28) but it has been extended for another three days.

"The suspect has been remanded until Friday (Jan 31) to assist with the investigation," he said when contacted on Tuesday.

"We are investigating under Section 506 and 509 of the Penal Code."

The suspect was detained following a police report lodged by Harith's ex-wife, who is also his manager, Dr Jezamine Lim, at the Dang Wangi police station at about 7.31pm on July 23.

In the first incident, the victim was contacted by the suspect at about 11.21am on Tuesday (Jan 21).

The man threatened to kill Harith after the comedian issued a statement over the ham issue.

The other incident occurred at 3pm on Thursday, when Dr Jezamine was at a restaurant.

She had received a threatening phone message with a photo of her children.

Police also seized the suspect's mobile phone.

Death threats targeting Harith Iskander's family have led to the cancellation of his show at Dewan Filharmonik Petronas (DFP), according to his ex-wife.

The threats emerged following Harith's controversial coffee joke related to the "ham and cheese" sandwich issue.

On Instagram, Dr Jezamine Lim, who is also Harith's manager, stated that a police report had been filed regarding the threats made against their family.

"Last week, I received a death threat but what cut deeper and shook me to my core was a vile threat of abuse against our children," she wrote on Saturday (Jan 25).

"Let me be crystal clear – threatening the safety of innocent children crosses every imaginable line. It is despicable, cowardly and inhumane. A report has been made and the police are investigating, so I will not be commenting further on the matter."

Due to these threats and relentless online attacks from certain individuals, Jezamine stated that DFP and the family agreed to cancel the show to ensure the safety and security of everyone involved.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Govt urged to include tour buses under diesel subsidy scheme
No need for by-elections for Pandan and Setiawangsa, says EC
Coroner's court: Uncle describes close bond between Zara Qairina, mother
Selangor PBM members quit because 'promises never materialised', says Sng
MCMC engages civil groups on online child safety and protection
Sabah private sector employers must take note of replacement holidays, says state Labour Dept
30-year prison sentence upheld for ex-Rela member who fatally shot friend
EC informed of vacancies of Pandan, Setiawangsa parliamentary seats, says Dewan Rakyat Speaker
Tony Pua under investigation for post on Malay Rulers, confirms Bukit Aman
MalaysiaNow chief editor questioned over report on clip involving Farhash

Others Also Read