No approval given to bauxite mining proposal in Kuantan, Dewan Rakyat told


KUALA LUMPUR: The environmental impact assessment (EIA) report for proposed bauxite mining project in Bukit Goh, Kuantan has not been approved, the Dewan Rakyat was told.

Natural Resources and Environmental Sustainability Minister Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad said a previous EIA report for a similar project at the site had also been rejected.

The Environment Department received a project proposal for a bauxite mining operation on a 2,424ha site on Sept 24, he said during Minister Question Time on Thursday (Dec 12).

Datuk Seri Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man (PN-Kubang Kerian) wanted to know if approval had been granted to the bauxite mining project in Bukit Goh.

Nik Nazmi noted that every EIA report is evaluated in detail at Environmental Impact Assessment Technical Review Committee meetings alongside other federal and state agencies, appointed individuals and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

"The committee will consider all reviews and recommendations from all parties involved before deciding on each EIA report," he said.

To a supplementary question, Nik Nazmi said the ministry is looking to enhance and regulate the EIA process to make it more comprehensive, aligned with the current needs of the people.

"The ministry plans to enhance the EIA process through broader assessment panels, digital public engagement, third-party audits and strengthened legal frameworks to ensure greater environmental protection and public participation in environmental decisions," he said.

He also pointed out the crucial role of the Environmental Quality Monitoring Programme (EQMP) in monitoring air, river and marine water quality, essential for community health and environment reports.

Nik Nazmi said data capture methods within the EQMP need to be reviewed.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Govt urged to include tour buses under diesel subsidy scheme
No need for by-elections for Pandan and Setiawangsa, says EC
Coroner's court: Uncle describes close bond between Zara Qairina, mother
Selangor PBM members quit because 'promises never materialised', says Sng
MCMC engages civil groups on online child safety and protection
Sabah private sector employers must take note of replacement holidays, says state Labour Dept
30-year prison sentence upheld for ex-Rela member who fatally shot friend
EC informed of vacancies of Pandan, Setiawangsa parliamentary seats, says Dewan Rakyat Speaker
Tony Pua under investigation for post on Malay Rulers, confirms Bukit Aman
MalaysiaNow chief editor questioned over report on clip involving Farhash

Others Also Read