Anwar welcomes Najib's 1MDB apology


PUTRAJAYA: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim welcomes Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s apology over the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal.

“Terima baik (well-received),” said the Prime Minister briefly when asked about the former premier's apology by reporters after Friday prayers at Surau Ar-Rahman at Presint 16 in Putrajaya on Friday (Oct 25).

On Thursday (Oct 24), Najib apologised to all Malaysians over the 1MDB scandal which took place when he was prime minister and finance minister.

In a statement read out by his son Datuk Mohd Nizar Najib at the Kuala Lumpur Court Complex, Najib said he decided to issue it after much reflection during his 26 months in jail following significant recent developments relating to 1MDB.

Najib expressed “deep shock” over the extent of the multi-billion ringgit scandal but maintained that recent evidence supported his claim that he did not collaborate with fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low.

There have been mixed responses towards Najib’s apology, with Pejuang’s Rafique Rashid questioning whether it was a genuine act of remorse or an attempt to gain leniency.

Earlier, Umno vice-president Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail had said Najib’s apology was sincere and he was confident that Najib's remarks reflected good intentions when he was prime minister, of which others took advantage.

“Najib always thought about what was best for the people, to the extent that some irresponsible parties took advantage of his concern for the people’s welfare,” Wan Rosdy had said in a statement late Thursday (Oct 24) night.

Najib is currently serving a reduced sentence after on Feb 2, the Federal Territories Pardons Board halved his 12-year jail term to six years and reduced his fine from RM210mil to RM50mil.

Last week, during the tabling of Budget 2025, eyebrows were raised after Anwar, in an unread part of his speech, announced that the government will introduce a law on house arrest next year.

On Dec 5, the Court of Appeal will hear Najib’s appeal over the dismissal of his leave application for judicial review regarding an alleged addendum on house arrest.

Najib claimed that the addendum was issued by the 16th Yang di-Pertuan Agong to allow him to serve the remainder of his jail sentence under house arrest.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
1MDB , Apology , Najib Razak , Anwar Ibrahim

Next In Nation

PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai
Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027

Others Also Read