Ministry to oversee education of ex-GISB children


PUTRAJAYA: More than 300 children previously under the care of Global Ikhwan Services and Business Holdings (GISB) will attend special classes conducted by the Education Ministry from Oct 1.

The children will be given formal education based on a module that has been used before, says minister Fadhlina Sidek.

“We are deeply committed to ensuring that these children receive a proper education.

“Therefore, we take responsibility in guaranteeing their educational progress.

“We are concerned that they may fall behind (in their education) pending the police probe (into GISB),” she told reporters after the ministry’s monthly assembly here yesterday.

Fadhlina said the first phase of the initiative will be for two months, during which the children will remain at welfare institutions under the authorities’ protection and supervision.

“If necessary, the programme will be extended to a second phase in the following months.

“At this stage, the children will not be placed in mainstream schools yet, as they need to undergo assessments, including aspects of the 3Rs (reading, writing, arithmetic), as well as their psychosocial well-being,” she said, adding that the children are currently undergoing counselling.

On the special module, Fadhlina said that it will be structured around three cohorts: preschool, primary and secondary levels.“In the context of this module, there will be teacher rotations and interventions from time to time,” she said.

On Sept 11, Bukit Aman’s Criminal Investigation Department launched an operation codenamed Op Global, under which 20 GISB-owned care homes in Selangor and Negri Sembilan were raided.The operation saw the rescue of 402 children and teenagers comprising 201 boys and 201 girls aged between one and 17 years.With the operation currently in its fourth phase, the number of those rescued nationwide has risen to over 500.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged
Public inspection for LRT Mutiara Line extension linking Penang Island, Seberang Perai
12 police personnel suspended over cryptocurrency theft
Bill to cap PM’s term at 10 years to be tabled on Monday

Others Also Read