SAR team stays committed to finding missing sinkhole victim as operation enters ninth day


KUALA LUMPUR: The search and rescue (SAR) team remains dedicated to finding the victim of the sinkhole incident at Jalan Masjid India, now in its ninth day of operations.

More than 115 officers and personnel, including those from the Royal Malaysia Police, Fire and Rescue Department, Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), Civil Defence Force, Indah Water Konsortium, Malaysian Nuclear Agency, and the Department of Mineral and Geoscience, were involved in the operation.

Bernama checked the location at 9.30am on Sarturday (Aug 31) and found that the SAR team members were already at the scene of the incident and the surrounding area to continue the operation.

DBKL, in a statement on Friday (Aug 30), said that the SAR operation on the eighth day continued at night.

It is understood that the SAR team continued operations until 4am and used a telescopic camera to obtain a clearer image, especially in the two sewers in the search area that were found to be blocked due to debris.

The camera combines the technologies of both push rod and crawler cameras previously employed in the search efforts.

Meanwhile, a source close to the search operation indicated that the Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Federal Territories), Dr Zaliha Mustafa, is scheduled to hold a press conference at 2pmon Saturday

On Aug 23, G. Vijayalaksmi, 48, a tourist from India, went missing after falling into an eight-meter deep hole caused by a sinkhole on Jalan Masjid India while en route to a nearby temple.

A search and rescue (SAR) operation involving security forces and local authorities was launched the same day. For the past eight days, the team has employed various techniques, including jetting, flushing, and pumping water out of the site to locate the victim. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read