Publishing pictures of children in criminal proceedings a breach of Child Act, says Azalina


PUTRAJAYA: The public is reminded not to publish any pictures of children involved in criminal proceedings in the media, says Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (JPM) (Legal and Institutional Reform) Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said (pic).

In a post on her official Facebook account, Azalina said the act violated subsection 15(2) of the Child Act 2001 which could result in criminal charges.

"Referring to the recent cases involving children in criminal proceedings, I would like to remind the public of subsection 15(2) of the Child Act 2001 which prohibits the publication of any photographs of children involved in criminal proceedings in the media.

"Violation of this provision may result in criminal charges. We need to put our trust in the law and the due process when dealing with cases involving children," she said.

She was referring to a case involving a 12-year-old child who was charged at the Magistrate's Court, Sepang, on Monday (Aug 5) for driving without a license.

The case gained a lot of attention when a one-minute-49-second video showing a woman restraining a Perodua Viva car driven by a teenage boy with two children inside went viral last month.

On Monday, the media reported that the boy pleaded not guilty to the charge of driving a Perodua Viva car, at Taman Putra Impiana, Puchong, Selangor at 7.30 pm, July 28.

The charge is under Section 39 (1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 and can be punished under Section 39 (5) of the Transport Act 1987 which provides for a fine not exceeding RM2,000 or imprisonment not exceeding six months or both, if convicted.

Magistrate Muhammad Bukhori Md Ruslan set a bail of RM500 and Sept 4 as the date of mention of the case. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read