Landslides strike Mount Kinabalu


KOTA KINABALU: Heavy rain over the last few days has triggered at least two landslides on Sabah’s iconic Mount Kinabalu.

The first incident was reported around 1.20am on one side of the mountain, followed by another at the same area, and a mudflow took place at about 5am early Sunday.

Sabah Parks director Dr Maklarin Lakim said no injuries were reported in the incidents, which occurred in Ulu Sungai of the Mesilau locality in Kundasang highlands, some 100km from here.

“It was far from the summit trail,” he said yesterday.

Unstoppable force: A view of the landslides on Mount Kinabalu. — Pictures courtesy of Ranau Fire and Rescue Department
Unstoppable force: A view of the landslides on Mount Kinabalu. — Pictures courtesy of Ranau Fire and Rescue Department

Debris from the landslides fell into the Mesilau river and eventually flowed into the Liwagu river, where the district’s water treatment plant is located.

“The situation is under control, we are monitoring it and its impact to the river’s flow,” Maklarin said.

A video that captured one of the landslides has been circulating on social media yesterday. In the clip, what looks like a mix of debris and mud is seen gushing down the mountain.

Ranau Fire and Rescue station chief Ridwan Mohd Taib said they were not notified of the incidents but would start monitoring the situation after viewing the video.

Mud flooding the Mesilau River. — Pictures courtesy of Ranau Fire and Rescue Department
Mud flooding the Mesilau River. — Pictures courtesy of Ranau Fire and Rescue Department

“The landslides and flash mud flood have not affected the nearby village,” he said, adding they will use a drone as the area, which is located under Sabah Parks’ jurisdiction, is inaccessible.

Meanwhile, in the southwestern Membakut district, some 90km from here, the number of flood victims evacuated has risen to 100 people as of 8am yesterday.

In a statement, Sabah Disaster Management Committee secretariat said the flood victims were now staying at Dewan Selagon in Beaufort.

It said continuous rain since last Thursday had caused several areas to be inundated.

So far, seven hotspots have been identified.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
sabah , Mount Kinabalu

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read