Gerakan wants to contest


KUALA LUMPUR: Despite its candidate losing in Kuala Kubu Baru during last year’s Selangor state election, Gerakan is keen to contest again in the May 11 by-election.

“Locals here know our previous candidate. Even though we lost the seat in the last state election, we did not shut down our service centre in Kuala Kubu Baru.

“We have continued serving the people there,” said Gerakan president Datuk Dr Dominic Lau.

As such, he hoped that Perikatan Nasional would agree to allow the party to contest the seat next month.

“Whether or not the candidate is from Gerakan, we will campaign to the best of our ability to ensure victory for Perikatan,” he added.

During the Selangor election last year, Gerakan’s Teoh Kien Hong lost the seat by a 4,119-vote majority.

Speaking to reporters yesterday, Lau said the by-election would see national issues being raised.

It would be a “referendum” on Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s government, he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Kuala Kubu Baharu , by-election , Gerakan

   

Next In Nation

Sg Bakap polls: Unity government names Dr Joohari Ariffin as candidate
Al-Sultan Abdullah visits Pahang MB at National Heart Institute
Fisherman's remains discovered after two-day search at sea in Tawau
Singapore PM departs home after a two-day working visit to Malaysia
Govt to study how to help tour bus operators hit by diesel subsidy removal
Five teachers involved in bus crash recovering, says Zahid
SESB expects Tenom Pangi hydro plant to resume operations later this year
Govt focusing on targeted diesel subsidy for now, says Amir Hamzah
Dr M: Batu Puteh withdrawal decision not done 'in secret'
Penampang local council urged to explain using parking management company from peninsula Malaysia

Others Also Read