Upswing in SMS scams, says Bukit Aman


KUALA LUMPUR: SMS scams are on the rise again with Bukit Aman recording 18 cases this year.

Federal Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) director Comm Datuk Seri Ramli Mohamed Yoosuf said losses from these cases were estimated at just under RM230,000.

"The latest tactic involves victims reportedly receiving SMSes from known telcos," he told a press conference at Bukit Aman here on Friday (April 19).

"The messages will claim that the victim has rewards points and must claim them before they expire.

"The victims are given a link in the message (which sends them) to a site that would ask for online banking information and the one-time password that would be sent from the bank," he said.

He added that there is a standing instruction to telcos to not include any links in the SMSes they send.

Comm Ramli also said police have detected QR codes that lead unsuspecting people to phishing sites.

"Lately a case went viral on social media where drink bottles were being sent from house to house in an apparent new scam tactic.

"(According to) the video shared on social media, the bottles have QR codes on them (that offer) RM200 in coupons.

"However after scanning the code, the victims will then be told to enter their banking information which will cause (money to be stolen) from their accounts," he said.

He added that no reports about this particular scam have been received so far but urged the public to be wary of such potential traps.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
SMS , Scam , CCID , Comm Ramli Mohamed Yoosuf , QR Code , Phishing ,

Next In Nation

Two men arrested for domestic violence and intimidation in Tawau
No price gouging during Ramadan, Sabah consumer group urges businesses
Fashion designer Jovian Mandagie fails in appeal against bankruptcy order
Police hunt 36 wanted individuals
Bills to limit PM’s tenure, split AG–PP roles to be tabled Monday
Fisheries Act amendment to strengthen marine mammal conservation
Thousands affected as overnight downpour triggers Paitan floods
Three rural areas in Sabah declared disaster zones after floods
Severe rain warning issued for several areas in Sabah
INTERACTIVE: A peek into the balik kampung exodus

Others Also Read