Iran's drone attack on Israel a legitimate act, says PM


KUALA LUMPUR: Iran's use of drones to respond to Israel's attack of its embassy in Damascus, Syria was a legitimate act, says Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim.

He added that Putrajaya welcomed assurances from Iran that its response would be the extent of their action, provided there were no further provocations by Israel.

"We join all of the civilised world to urge the Zionist Israeli regime not to aggravate an already extremely tense situation further.

"There are clear signs indicating that the world has no desire to see a worsening of the situation," he said in a statement on Monday (April 15).

ALSO READ: Iran-Israel conflict: Preparation for 2024 haj season to go on, says Na'im

He added that despite the geopolitical uncertainties, the impact on the Malaysian economy remained contained, with the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange (KLSE) experiencing only marginal dips aligned with regional trends.

"Nonetheless, the Madani government will continue to monitor this situation very closely and take proactive measures to ensure the security, welfare and well-being of all Malaysians.

"The interests of the country will be our primary consideration," he said.

Anwar had earlier, chaired a Special Meeting of the National Security Council to address the escalating tensions in the Middle East.

ALSO READ: Iran's attack on Israel: Wisma Putra must monitor safety of Malaysians, says Fadillah

The meeting was attended by key figures, including Deputy Prime Minister 1, Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi; Defence Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Khaled Nordin; Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail; Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan; Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Zuki Ali, along with other senior government officials.

"The meetings held in two consecutive days show the seriousness with which the Madani government views these developments as well as the efforts that we will take to shield Malaysia and Malaysians from its impact," said Anwar.

He added that the key to resolving this issue was the just and immediate resolution of the inhumane situation in Gaza.

"Therefore, global attention must be devoted fully to it, with no distractions.

"There must be a durable ceasefire which will enable the passage of humanitarian aid. In this connection, Malaysia’s latest contribution of 100 containers is expected to leave Malaysia on April 27," he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Anwar Ibrahim , Iran , Israel , Putrajaya , Drone Attack ,

Next In Nation

US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts

Others Also Read