Sabah cops cripple four burglary gangs who carted away RM1.36mil loot


KOTA KINABALU: Police have crippled four burglary gangs which targeted safes in upmarket housing estates in Sabah and made off with RM1.36mil in January and February 2024.

Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jauteh Dikun said police believe they have solved 14 housebreaking cases with the arrest of 12 suspects.

He said the groups would typically strike houses in elite residential areas.

"Some of these groups get information that the occupants are away when piles of newspapers are left on the porch, for example.

"We hope occupants do not leave signs that they are not at home. Contact the police or register your movement in the VSP (Volunteer Smartphone Patrol) application so that police can monitor your house," he said at a press conference after attending the state-level 217th Police Day celebration here on Monday (March 25).

Jauteh also said Sabah recorded a 23.34% increase in crime cases in January and February, with 782 cases compared to 634 cases in the same period last year.

He said the increase was partly due to the police's approach to open investigation papers for all reports with criminal elements, regardless of the amount of losses involved.

"If we simply close (small) cases, we will not know the pattern of crime in the state. With this method (investigating all cases), we can implement more effective crime prevention efforts," he said.

However, he said the success rate of solving crimes also increased this year to 65.35% or 511 cases during the same period last year.

Jauteh said that to ensure public safety during the upcoming Hari Raya Aidilfitri celebrations, 1,041 police personnel will be mobilised in various operations, including Ops Selamat and Ops Pintu.

"A total of 54 hotspots have been identified for these operations throughout Sabah to ensure public safety on the roads, at home, or anywhere during this festive season," he said. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Sabah , Burglary , Gangs , Jauteh Dikun , High-End Houses

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read