Malaysia declines offer to host Commonwealth Games 2026


PETALING JAYA: The government has decided not to accept the offer to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games in a Cabinet meeting on Friday (March 22), says the Youth and Sports Ministry.

In a statement issued by the ministry's corporate communications unit, the ministry said the decision was made after taking into account all implications of Malaysia hosting the games.

“The delegation from the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) met Youth and Sports Minister Hannah Yeoh and gave an explanation on the offer to host the games. Finance Minister II Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan also attended the meeting on Feb 5.

“The details of the meeting were presented at the Cabinet meeting on Friday and highlighted that the offer of UK£100mil (RM603 mil) would not suffice to afford the whole cost of hosting the games on a big scale.

Besides that, the economic impact of this cannot be determined at this time.

“The Madani Government thanks the CGF for its offer to host the Commonwealth Games 2026. However, currently, the government would like to focus on sports development and the welfare and well-being of the rakyat,” the statement read.

On Thursday (March 21), Yeoh had stated that the people's interests always come first.

“We are committed to not wasting taxpayers' money, even if we are prepared to host the Games," said Yeoh.

The offer to Malaysia was made after after Victoria, Australia, withdrew last year due to the increase in organising costs from AU$2.6bil (RM8.09bil) to AU$7bil (RM21.78bil).

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts

Others Also Read