Anwar not surprised by ‘2M’ pact


KUALA LUMPUR: The move by Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin to join forces comes as no surprise to the current Prime Minister.

Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim is unfazed by the collaboration, saying the duo’s decision will not affect the unity government’s preparedness in facing the upcoming six state elections.

Anwar said the matter is not something new to him.

“We know that these groups will collude to continue their ways and defend their wealth. Pakatan Harapan and Barisan Nasional will not be affected.

“We are responsible to continue to defend our country and the people,” he told reporters after attending EPF’s International Social Wellbeing Conference 2023 yesterday.

Anwar had been asked to comment on whether the meeting between Dr Mahathir and Perikatan Nasional chairman Muhyiddin would affect the Pakatan-Barisan preparedness for the elections.

The state elections in Selangor, Negri Sembilan, Penang, Kedah, Terengganu and Kelantan will be held on Aug 12, with early polling on Aug 8. Nomination day is on July 29.

On Tuesday night, the two former premiers met to discuss the “position and future of the Malays”.

Muhyiddin said both leaders agreed to strengthen unity among the Malays to boost support for Perikatan in the elections.

The Bersatu president also clarified that the meeting did not specifically touch on Dr Mahathir’s Malay Proclamation movement.

Dr Mahathir and Muhyiddin founded Bersatu together in 2016 and the party joined the Pakatan Harapan coalition which came to power after the 14th General Election in 2018.

But they had a falling out when the Pakatan government was brought down by the Sheraton Move in February 2020. Muhyiddin took the party out of the coalition despite protests from Dr Mahathir.

Dr Mahathir resigned as prime minister and Bersatu chairman and was sacked from the party three months later.

Both led rival coalitions in GE15, with Muhyiddin heading Perikatan and Dr Mahathir helming the now-defunct Gerakan Tanah Air.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Bersatu pioneer leader Muhammad Faiz Na’aman quits party
Man killed, two injured after car crashes into electric pole
Accountant assaults ex-husband over unpaid debt
KL OCPDs must be more hands on, city's top cop says
State polls: No problem retaining Penang, Negri Sembilan and S'gor, says Rafizi
State polls: Selangor will lose out if not under unity govt, says Zahid
State polls: Kota Anggerik voters want better public transport, says PAS candidate
State polls: Umno voters now support Perikatan, says Peja
Intel shows S’gor no longer a Pakatan stronghold, claims Azmin
State polls: Early voters to fulfill their responsibilities on Aug 8

Others Also Read