MELAKA: The campaign to promote Visit Melaka Year 2024 will be extended to Brunei and Indonesia, with the state government also set on attracting some 120,000 tourists from the Philippines.
Tourism, heritage, arts and culture committee chairman Datuk Abdul Razak Abdul Rahman (pic) said the campaign would be extended to these South-East Asian countries in addition to European and Middle Eastern nations to reach the target of 8.4 million tourists to Melaka next year.
The state partnered with 80 Philippine travel agencies to attract about 120,000 tourists there during its campaign in Manila and Davao from May 21-26, he said.
“We teamed up with 80 travel agencies – 50 in Manila and 30 in Davao,” he told reporters on Saturday, Bernama reported.
Various tourism packages, he said, would be offered by industry players in the state to the foreign travel agencies involved.
Abdul Razak was speaking to reporters after the launch of the Gegau Seni Budaya @ Melaka Programme at Panggung Seri, Melaka National Department for Culture and Arts Complex here, which was graced by Yang Di-Pertua Negeri Tun Mohd Ali Rustam.
On another matter, Abdul Razak said the Panggung Seri at Melaka JKKN Complex would be closed for six months starting in June to make way for maintenance to be carried out by the Public Works Department.
Commenting on the Gegau Seni Budaya @ Melaka programme, he said it was aimed at conserving traditional heritage.
Various talent acquisition programmes and competitions had been lined up for the two-day programme, including Juara Pantun, Gasing Challenge, “Colours of Malaysia” Performance: Cak Kun Cak The Musical, Miss Grand Kebaya Cilik and a cosplay event.