PETALING JAYA: Mogok Doktor Malaysia, the group which threatened a three-day contract doctors strike, appears to have deactivated its Instagram account on Tuesday (April 3), the second day of the planned industrial action.
The group had used the account to spread information related to the strike.
Earlier, Mogok Doktor Malaysia claimed that the strike had "successfully achieved its aim" despite news reports that it appeared to have failed and it was business as usual at most hospitals.
When pressed to disclose the number of participants, the group’s spokesman, who wanted to be known only as Dr Jamal, claimed that some 3,000 doctors took part.
He said it only appeared as if the strike had no impact on the healthcare sector because there were fewer people waiting at hospitals on Monday (April 3), hence there was enough manpower to cope.
"The patient rate was reduced by 30% overall, but at the same time there are contract doctors who took medical or emergency leave for the strike; some medical officers had to carry out jobs that are supposed to be done by house officers," he said when contacted.
"It seems like nothing happened because the crowds (were) reduced and so the workforce was adequate to manage.
"Even though we might not get most contract doctors involved in it, we have brought the issues of contract doctors to the eyes of the public and brought it to the attention of politicians in power.
"This is just an early warning. If they don't treat contract doctors properly then the next strike will be more devastating," he added.
Asked if the group’s initial target of 8,000 was too lofty an aim, Dr Jamal said the figure was derived from the respondents of a survey conducted in February.
On why they decided to strike when the government was engaging with medical groups to resolve the problem, he said the engagement had not been fruitful.
The Star’s checks showed no hiccups in major hospitals in the Klang Valley such as Hospital Kuala Lumpur, Hospital Serdang, Hospital Cyberjaya and Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah.
The situation was also normal in Penang, Johor Baru, Ipoh, Seremban and Kota Kinabalu.
The group's social media campaign also did not appear to gain traction on Monday.
The Malaysian Medical Association (MMA) also said based on checks at public healthcare facilities, no contract doctor strikes had been reported at public healthcare facilities.