PETALING JAYA: The threatened doctors’ strike by Mogok Doktor Malaysia around the country will go on as planned from April 3 to 5 despite Health Minister Dr Zaliha Mustafa saying that a healthcare reforms commission would be set up to address the issues raised.
When contacted by Astro Awani on Saturday (April 1), a representative of the group behind the @mogokdoktormsia account said there had been many committees, commissions and meetings previously but the issues had yet to be resolved.
ALSO READ: Waiting hours will be longer during doctors’ strike on April 3-5, says Mogok Doktor Malaysia
"We are disappointed and have lost faith in the Health Ministry.
"The problem will not be solved as long as 83% of doctors on contract are not given permanent positions," the representative who only wanted to be known as Dr Jamal.
Astro Awani reported that Dr Jamal claimed that between 10,000 and 13,000 healthcare workers were expected to join the three-day strike.
He told the Malay news portal that healthcare workers from around the country had expressed interest, with the majority from Selangor, Penang, Johor, Sabah and Sarawak.
ALSO READ: Mogok Doktor Malaysia told to be mindful of consequences over threat to strike
He also repeated the call by the group advising the public to seek healthcare services from private providers during the three days.
Earlier, Dr Zaliha had said that strikes were not the best way to address the issues facing healthcare workers.
She added that on Friday (March 31), the Cabinet had agreed to set up a high-level committee with representatives from various ministries and agencies, including the Chief Secretary to the Government to address the issues of contract doctors.