KLUANG: The Home Ministry will waive any charges to replace identification documents such as MyKad and birth certificates that are damaged or lost in the floods.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the National Registration Department (NRD) had been instructed to assist in the matter once the flood situation improved.
"The NRD has been told to go to the ground via its mobile units to assist the flood victims on this matter as soon as possible.
"The victims will have to lodge a police report and renew the documents without having to pay for the fines usually imposed for the loss of MyKad," he said during his working visit to the Kahang police station here on Saturday (Jan 28).
He added that additional personnel from the department’s headquarters would be sent to help if the Johor NRD is short of staff.
Saifuddin Nasution was also given a briefing on the flood situation in Kluang, which is one of the districts in Johor affected by the disaster.
He said prior to Kluang, he was granted an audience with Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar in Johor Baru.
"His Majesty conveyed his concerns about those affected by the floods and that he wanted the safety of the people’s lives and properties to be given priority.
"The ministry and its related agencies will give their commitment and take heed of the Ruler's advice," he added.