KOTA KINABALU: The RM6.1bil allocation for Sabah under Budget 2023 was a 20.45% increase from last year, says Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor.
The Sabah Chief Minister said the state welcomed the bigger allocation announced by Finance Minister Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz when tabling Budget 2023 in Parliament on Friday (Oct 7).
“Sabah welcomes the Federal Government’s commitment to continue emphasising the state’s development,” Hajiji said in a statement.
Hajiji described the national budget tabled as consistent with the Federal Government's commitment to ensure no one was left out in the mainstream development.
“It is a continuity of the momentum of the nation's recovery from the pandemic, which is now in the endemic phase, and the state government welcomes such an inclusive budget," he said.
The Sabah government also welcomed the Federal Government’s commitment to ensure Sabah’s security with upgrades to the Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) in Lahad Datu, as well as providing additional security assets and construction of a field hospital next year.
“The Federal Government also allocated RM1.2bil to repair dilapidated schools that included 123 projects in Sabah, as well as another RM430mil to build five new schools nationwide that included a school in Sabah - SMK Nabalu in Kiulu - next year.
“We also thank the Federal Government for providing allocations for the Pan Borneo Highway project in Sabah, which is expected to be completed in 2024.
“Also mentioned was the development of the Border Town including the construction of the road connecting Kalabakan to Simanggaris in Indonesia,” he said, adding that RM250mil have also been announced for developing the Sepanggar Bay Container Port next year.
Hajiji said they also lauded the commitment to help ease the people’s hardship through the Bantuan Keluarga Malaysia (BKM) involving more than RM10bil next year.