SEPANG: They were promised big salaries, but the victims of the human trafficking syndicate who were forced to work overseas only received cash vouchers and cards.
MCA Youth Central committee member Heng Zhi Li said some victims were threatened, tasered, beaten and tortured by the syndicate members.
He said he initially got wind about the human trafficking activities from a friend whose sister was duped by the syndicate.
"These victims were promised salaries of at least US$1,700 (RM7,100) when they were initially recruited but when they got there, they only received small payments via cash vouchers and cards which they could only spend in the building which they were being held in.
"The agent forged work permits for them and applied for visas for these victims to go abroad as construction workers or waiters," he said when met at KLIA2 on Tuesday (April 12).
Heng hoped the public would be cautious with such advertisements claiming there were jobs overseas offering high pay.
"We were told that there were at least 300 people in the building they were held in and was controlled by men who had firearms.
"We believe besides these 16 identified, there might be other Malaysians still being held there," he said, adding that the victims were sent to Cambodia in phases beginning in September last year.
He also said according to the victims, there were still new batches of victims being sent there.
Meanwhile MCA Youth chief Datuk Nicole Wong Siaw Ting said the victims were also mentally abused and threatened by the syndicate.
"The syndicate threatened them by saying if they went to the authorities, they would come after their family members. This is the main reason why many of the victims were hesitant to speak to authorities," she said.