Kazakh unrest: Malaysians and investments in Kazakhstan are safe, says ambassador


A view shows the city administration headquarters, which was set on fire during recent protests triggered by fuel price increase, in Almaty, Kazakhstan January 11, 2022. -Reuters

KUALA LUMPUR: The situation in Kazakhstan has stabilised following a major unrest last week, and the government has given assurance on the safety and protection of Malaysian investments valued US$1bil (RM4.18bil) in the Central Asian country.

Kazakhstan's Ambassador to Malaysia, Bulat Sugurbayev said most of the investments were oil and gas related, adding that he would be contacting each and every Malaysian investor to enquire about their well-being in the wake of the unrest.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Kazakh , Malaysia , investments , unrest

Next In Nation

Traffic builds as city folk head back
Paitan hit hardest by floods�
Timely boost for fasting month
2.9 million vehicles expected on highways this weekend
Mosques, surau in Kuantan receive Ramadan aid
Anwar meets with Singapore PM
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah held nationwide
DAP’s next move under scrutiny
Enough vegetables to cover Ramadan and Raya, say industry insiders
Hajiji urges flood victims�to prioritise safety

Others Also Read