THERE are no plans to develop a new Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) base in Sabah, said Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein.
He said Sabah’s security did not depend on having a new airbase.
The Defence Ministry (Mindef) was more concerned with having the necessary assets and being able to mobilise them to ensure Sabah’s continued safety, he said in response to a question from Datuk Hasanuddin Mohd Yunus (PH-Hulu Langat) in the Dewan Rakyat yesterday.
Mohd Yunus had asked if Mindef was planning to build a new RMAF base in Semprona or Kunak.
He noted that the eastern coast of Sabah had been under curfew for eight years, which had affected development in the area.
Meanwhile, Hishammuddin gave an update on the government allocation to procure new trainer and light combat aircrafts for the RMAF.“The international tender for the aircrafts closed on Nov 6 and is currently under evaluation,” he said in response to a question by Datuk Ahmad Nazlan Idris (BN-Jerantut).