Probe complete but inquest date yet to be fixed in Annapuranee Jenkins case, say cops

  • Nation
  • Friday, 29 Oct 2021

GEORGE TOWN: An inquest date has yet to be fixed in the case of missing Australian Annapuranee Jenkins, says Penang police chief Comm Datuk Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain.

He said police were still waiting for the inquest proceeding after the investigation paper was completed and sent to the state prosecution director's office.

"We have registered the case at the coroner's court and on Oct 14 this year, the state prosecution has instructed an inquest procedure to be conducted," he told a press conference at state police headquarters here on Friday (Oct 29).

Comm Mohd Shuhaily said due process and investigation of the case had been completed and police had been willing to assist the family of the victim since the first day of the case.

His explanation came after Frank Pangallo, a Member of the Australian Parliament’s legislative council, moved a motion urging the Australian government to investigate claims that Malaysian police might have carried out a slipshod investigation into the disappearance and death of Annapuranee Jenkins, 67.

It was reported that the MP wanted the South Australia government to write to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob and the Foreign Minister to urge Malaysia to undertake a serious investigation into Annapuranee's disappearance and death.

Comm Mohd Shuhaily denied that police had taken the case lightly and stressed that they had done their best in the investigation.

He said Annapuranee's family had fully cooperated with the police and he saw no problem between the two parties.

He also welcomed the family and Australian authorities to come forward and discuss any perceived gaps in the course of the investigation.

"Perhaps the Australians can share their experience with us," he said, adding that there had not been any official request regarding the case from Australian authorities so far.

Annapuranee, who was born in Parit Buntar, Perak, had returned for a visit to Penang with her Australian husband before she vanished after getting out of an e-hailing vehicle on a busy street in 2017.

On June 24 last year, police found human bone fragments and personal belongings in a bush near the Penang Turf Club in Jalan Batu Gantung, believed to be linked to Annapuranee.

Then state police chief Comm Datuk Sahabudin Abd Manan had said that the DNA samples acquired from her family members matched the remains found at the site.

In December 2017, Annapuranee left her hotel for dental treatment at a clinic in Pulau Tikus.

Later, with the help of the clinic staff, she hailed a car from a ride-hailing service with instructions to head to the Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged in Batu Lanchang to visit her mother.

On the way there, she told the driver to stop at the main intersection between Scotland Road and Batu Gantung.

Due to the busy traffic, the driver stopped near the Sri Ramakrishnan Orphanage to drop her off. She hurried out of the vehicle and disappeared from sight within minutes.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Malaysia to be at the forefront of Islamic finance arbitration, says Sultan Nazrin
Personal data: A potential gold mine for hackers, say experts
Let the economy recover first before calling polls, says Azmin
King briefed by Finance Minister on Economic Survey
150 nurses expected to participate in northern nursing conference
A-G's report 2021 tabled in Parliament on Oct 6
Flash floods: Number of victims in Johor increases to 29
King to visit National Flood Forecasting and Warning Centre
Travellers will now have to fill in customs forms upon arrival or departure
KTC graduates making a name for themselves in the O&G industry

Others Also Read