MELAKA: Talk that the state government has rejected an application to allocate a site in Kuala Linggi for a Hindu crematorium are untrue, says Datuk Seri Suliaman Md Ali.
"The site was first proposed almost 40 years ago and continuous attempts have been made to obtain permission since then," the Melaka Chief Minister said on Wednesday (Sept 22).
Sulaiman said the departments in charge of providing feedback on the site's suitability have yet to approve it.
He said he was willing to answer any questions if the issue regarding the site's status is raised during the ongoing state legislative assembly.
"The assembly proceedings will be the right platform to set the record straight on the issue," he said.
Sulaiman said he was also aware of rumours being circulated over unfounded speculations that his administration had rejected the proposed site.
"Give us a chance to reveal the truth and hopefully the matter could be raised by the Opposition in the assembly," he said.
Sulaiman also praised a non-governmental organisation for relentlessly pursuing for the site to be turned into a crematorium.
“I understand their feelings and frustrations. But no one should be misled by those trying to politicise the issue," he said.
Suliaman assured the Hindu community that their plight was being looked into and that his administration is now working towards designating a suitable and appropriate site.