GEORGE TOWN: Three men have been detained by police in connection to the slashing incident involving Penang Hindu Endowment Board (PHEB) executive director Datuk M. Ramachandran at his home on July 23.
Penang police chief Comm Datuk Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said the suspects were detained at several locations in Seberang Prai on Sunday.
“We have also taken statements from 14 individuals to help us in our investigation,” he said after a symbolic handover of Ops Bantu at the Penang police headquarters.
Comm Mohd Shuhaily said police were currently ruling out any connection to gangsterism and said the matter was still under investigation.
He added that the suspects, aged between 45 and 51, would be investigated under Section 326 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means.
Ramachandran was attacked outside his house by three or four assailants as soon as he got out of his car.
He was admitted to the Emergency Ward of Hospital Bukit Mertajam and later transferred to Hospital Seberang Jaya.
Meanwhile, Comm Mohd Shuhaily said police were still waiting for further instruction from the deputy public prosecutor’s office on the 84 individuals who were arrested in connection with the incident where hundreds of foreigners performed prayers outside a surau in Taman Pelangi, allegedly violating the standard operating procedure.
He said of those detained, 83 were foreign nationals and one was a local, all of whom had already been released on police bail.
“We have sent the investigation paper to the deputy public prosecutor’s office and are waiting for further instruction,” he said.
It was reported that the men performed Hari Raya Aidiladha prayers outside the surau after being barred from entering as the limit of people allowed inside the surau had been reached.
They then reportedly gathered to perform their prayers on the road in front of the surau, which is near the Taman Pelangi flats in Auto City, Juru.