JOHOR BARU: Thirteen people who were arrested in relation to a rally in Batu Pahat on Thursday (May 13) have been released under police bail.
Batu Pahat OCPD Asst Comm Ismail Dollah said the 13 were released at about 11.30am on Sunday (May 16).
“Seven others who were arrested are still in custody to assist in the investigation. The investigation is ongoing, ” he said in a statement here on Sunday.
On Friday (May 14), Johor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Md Yusof Ahmad said a total of 20 people were arrested to assist investigations of the incident where a group of people were seen putting up banners critical of the government, lighting flares and firecrackers in the early morning of the first day of Hari Raya (May 13).
He had said the suspects, who were between the ages of 16 and 28, were remanded for four days until May 17.
In an earlier statement, ACP Ismail said police were alerted by the public at 11.04am on Thursday (May 13) that a banner critical of the government was spotted on a bridge at Jalan Parit Raja heading to Ayer Hitam.
"However, when the police visited the location, we found that it had been taken down.
"Not long after that, police received a report about a video of a rally, lighting up of flares and raising of a banner which did not comply with the Covid-19 standard operating procedures (SOP).
"Initial investigation found that the incident occurred in Parit Raja and it is believed that the banner raised during the rally is the same banner that was spotted on the bridge, ” he said.