SHAH ALAM: The decision to place six districts in Selangor under movement control order was made based on several factors, including the surge in Covid-19 cases which had reached four figures in recent weeks, said Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari.
The Selangor Mentri Besar explained that this, as well as high usage of critical and intensive care unit beds in hospitals, were the reasons to reimpose MCO.
He added that this was done as a consensus between the federal and state governments.
“I was contacted by Senior Ministrer Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob and Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba at the end of April to consider implementing MCO because of the increasing number of cases.
“I then met with the mayors, local council presidents and district officers where it was determined that there was a need to reimpose MCO in six of the nine districts in Selangor, ” he said at a special media conference yesterday.
He added that most of the cases were found in places where people tend to gather such as schools, bazaars and shopping malls.
“Only 10% to 15% of cases reported last week were at workplaces, while the rest were found in places with high concentrations of people.”
“We may not see immediate results from the restrictions imposed, but should improve in two to three weeks, ” he added.
Amirudin announced that all Ramadan bazaars in the affected districts would be closed starting Saturday, affecting some 11,000 traders.
He added that a one-off RM500 would be given as aid to the affected traders, costing the state some RM5mil.
Dine-ins at restaurants, including hotel buffets, would no longer be allowed.
Restaurants may still operate between 6am and midnight for takeaways.
Hari Raya bazaars and night markets would be allowed to open until 10pm, with tightened restrictions.
This included implementing numbering systems and appointing observers to ensure SOPs were followed.
Cinemas, spas, reflexology centres, theme parks and indoor playgrounds would also have to close.
Houses of worship could remain open, following previous guidelines by the National Unity Ministry.
“For kindergartens, we are allowing them to remain open for now so that working parents can continue to go to work, ” Amirudin said.
Public parks and recreational areas would remain open, however hiking and other contact sports would not be allowed.
On Tuesday, Ismail Sabri announced that the MCO will be implemented in six districts in Selangor from May 6-17.
The affected districts are Hulu Langat, Petaling, Gombak, Klang, Kuala Langat and Sepang.