Amicable solution reached in ‘Pillars of Sabah’ artworks incident, says Culture Minister


KOTA KINABALU: The recent incident where artworks at the ruins of a colonial building downtown were removed should not dishearten local artists, says Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment minister Datuk Jafry Ariffin (pic).

“I hope this incident does not break the spirit of local artists. They are always welcome to propose ideas to the Sabah Art Gallery to ensure that art in Sabah continues to thrive, ” he said.

Sabah's online community was abuzz when the artworks called the "Pillars of Sabah", were completely removed and covered with white paint.

He said the issue was due to a misunderstanding and added that amicable solutions had been sought among the various stakeholders in the state’s art and culture industry.

During the meeting, Jafry had called all parties including the ministry’s permanent secretary Dr Jamili Nais, Sabah Arts Gallery director Jeniffer Linggi, co-founder and co-organiser of Pillars of Sabah 3.0 Jared Abdul Rahman, Professor Dr Ramzah Dambul, and several other artists to discuss on the matter.

In that meeting, Jennifer admitted that there were weaknesses on their part and apologised to all those affected, especially the artists who had been not notified earlier before their artworks were wiped off.

In response to this apology, Jafry said there was always room for improvement.

“This is a lesson learned but it’s time to move forward for the upcoming WOW (Wonders of Wilderness) Project, ” he said.

The disappearance of the paintings on 31 pillars by 31 artists over the weekend also caught Pillars of Sabah coordinators and artists by surprise as they were not informed of any changes.

Pillars of Sabah is held annually and features 31 themes, one for each pillar.

The latest installation was Pillars of Sabah 3.0, and it was aimed at spurring unity during the pandemic.

It was unveiled on Dec 20,2020 and featured artists from diverse backgrounds.

The Pillars of Sabah project was also a brainchild of world renowned artist Red Hong Yi when it was first started in 2018.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Khairy: More mega PPVs to open as vaccine supplies come in
Melaka cops arrest three over illegal football betting website
MyCC seeks wide-ranging input for market review of transportation sectors
Cable repair on Penang Bridge to be completed by Friday (June 25), two weeks ahead of schedule
Six vaccination centres under Pikas approved in Penang
Four marine engineering firm owners remanded over alleged bribery involving project worth RM10mil
Single mum fleeced of over RM900,000 by love scam syndicate
Malaysia and Egypt to promote sustained post Covid-19 recovery
Two 15-year-olds among eight people arrested at party in Shah Alam
Booksellers lament bar on sale of books, stationery during lockdown

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers