KOTA KINABALU: Three new Covid-19 clusters in Sabah were caused by people not observing standard operating procedures (SOP), says Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun.
"Nearly all the new clusters have been triggered by the public failing to observe the SOP set by authorities," said Masidi, who is in charge of Covid-19 matters in the state.
As Sabah continues to see improving overall figures, Masidi, who is also state Local Government and Housing Minister, said it was important for every member of the public to observe the SOP strictly as it was key towards bringing the pandemic under control.
Sabah recorded three new clusters on Friday as the Tawau district will be under movement control order from Saturday (April 3) to April 13. A total of 137 cumulative cases have been recorded in the district.
Masidi said one of the clusters in Kota Kinabalu, the Banjaran Gading cluster, involved an index case detected during screening at a medical facility.
Out of 16 close contacts tested, eight were found positive while five were negative and three others were awaiting results, he said in a daily briefing on Friday (April 2).
Masidi said the Kalindukan cluster in interior Nabawan also saw three new cases, bringing the total to 13 in the cluster.
The fresh cluster is suspected to be linked to last month's marriage cluster at Kg Kalindukan in Nabawan.
The east coast Kunak district's Pasaraya Simpang Empat cluster saw two new positive cases, taking the cumulative Covid-19 cases to 12.
One of the workers at the market was first detected as positive for Covid-19 on March 26.
Sabah recorded a total of 63 positive cases on Friday.
The number of daily cases in the state has remained below 100 over the last three weeks.
Cases spiked to four figures following the state elections in September last year.
The state is now under the recovery MCO.