Floods: Number of evacuees in Terengganu rises, situation improves in Perak and Kelantan


KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): The number of flood evacuees in Terengganu rose to 781 individuals from 218 families as of 4pm Thursday (Dec 3).

Earlier, at 8am Thursday, there were 439 flood evacuees from124 families.

Eight more temporary flood evacuation centres have been opened in the state to cope with the rising number of evacuees, bringing the total number of centres to 17.

Terengganu disaster management committee secretariat chief Lt Col (PA) Che Adam A. Rahman said two more districts were flooded, namely Setiu and Dungun, adding to the existing four districts - Marang, Kuala Nerus, Kuala Terengganu and Kemaman.

"Marang has the most number of evacuees at 298 individuals from 81 families, increasing from 156 individuals from 42 families this morning. All of them are located at three evacuation centres in the district.

"Three centres are operating in Kuala Nerus currently, housing 155 individuals from 38 families, an increase from 96 individuals from 22 families previously,” he told reporters.

Kuala Terengganu had a slight increase of evacuees with 159 individuals from 46 families compared with 114 individuals from 36 families.

Kemaman also saw an increase of 94 people from 30 families compared with 73 individuals from 24 families.

In Setiu, 16 evacuees from four families are currently housed at an evacuation centre, while in Dungun, 59 individuals from 19 families have sought shelter at three different centres in the district.

In PERAK, 27 individuals from eight families in Kerian district are still at the evacuation centre at SK Changkat Lobak, Bagan Serai as of 4.30pm.

A Perak disaster management committee spokesman said all victims from Kampung Matang Tengah, Beriah were still waiting for the floods to recede, while the weather has been good in most areas in Perak since morning.

In KELANTAN, the floods in Pasir Mas had receded and the evacuation centre that was open since Sunday (Nov 29) was closed at 2pm following improving weather conditions with occasional light showers.

Pasir Mas social welfare officer Azizan Aziz said all 18 evacuees housed at SK Tok Deh since this morning were allowed to return home.

"Alhamdulillah, the weather is improving and the floodwaters at their residences have receded, so it is safe for everyone to return home. We also hope that the weather will continue to improve,” he said. - Bernama

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Ex-deputy CM Liew wins defamation suit against planter
Maqis seizes three containers of millet worth almost RM400k
Scrap metal recycler slapped with three charges over ruckus at police station
Police close several roads in Gombak for Thaipusam chariot journey
Cops arrest nine at massage centre in Johor
Thaipusam: Silver Chariot arrives at Nattukotai Chettiar Temple in Penang under strict SOP
Experts: Crucial to keep fighting
Expert assurance on vaccines
CNY to get fine-tuned SOP
Stepping up when it counts

Stories You'll Enjoy


-->