PETALING JAYA: Four company directors and a factory manager will be charged on Tuesday (Sept 15) with polluting Sungai Gong in Rawang, causing the disruption of water supply to 1.2 million people earlier this month.
Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Fadzil Ahmat said that the five suspects will be charged under Section 430 of the Penal Code and Section 25 of the Environmental Quality Act 1974.
In a statement on Monday (Sept 14), he said that four other suspects were released and will be witnesses.
Following oil pollution which was traced to the factory, four Sungai Selangor water treatment plants (LRA) had to suspend operations, leading to water supply disruptions.
The resulting water cuts affected a total of 1,292 areas in the Klang Valley, Petaling, Klang/Shah Alam, Kuala Selangor, Hulu Selangor, Gombak and Kuala Langat, involving nearly 1.2 million consumer accounts.
Did you find this article insightful?
79% readers found this article insightful