KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 186 people were rounded up for breaching the recovery movement control order (MCO) ahead of “D-Day” today, which is the compulsory wearing of face masks in crowded public areas.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (pic) said of the total, 41 were remanded, three released on bail, while 142 others were issued with compounds.
“Among the violations were running unlicensed massage centres (two), not complying with the standard operating procedure (SOP) (59), activities involving large gatherings which hampered physical distancing (124) and flouting the home surveillance order (one), ” he said.
Ismail Sabri said police conducted 1,942 checks on those undergoing mandatory 14-day quarantine at home.
He said 2,800 people, who returned to the country between July 24 and 30, had been placed at 16 quarantine centres in Kuala Lumpur, Negri Sembilan, Kelantan, Selangor, Penang, Sarawak and Johor.
“Of the total, 11 were sent to hospital for treatment, ” he said.
Under Ops Benteng, he said police conducted 59 roadblocks and inspected 41,748 vehicles to thwart the entry of illegal immigrants, especially through lorong tikus (hidden routes).
The senior minister said up to Thursday, the Compliance Operation Task Force carried out 60,038 checks to monitor and enforce the recovery MCO and SOP compliance.
In addition, he said the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) inspected 15 construction sites nationwide over the past 24 hours.
“One was issued with a warning for not complying with the SOP while two sites were not in operation.
“All the 19 construction sites, ordered to be closed by the CIDB previously, have been allowed to fully operate again after complying with the guidelines, ” he said. — Bernama