Senior doctor warns of Covid-19 second wave if complacency sets in


A poster in a shopping mall in Kuala Lumpur showing steps the public can take to prevent the spread of Covid-19. – RAJA FAISAL HISHAN/The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: A second wave of Covid-19 infections will strike if some segments of society become complacent and do not take protective measures seriously, says Datuk Dr Amar Singh.

In a statement Wednesday (May 13), Dr Amar said that while Malaysians were grateful to be moving out of the first wave of Covid-19, many have started to become complacent as the number of cases comes down.

"With the relaxation of the movement control order (MCO), some people are flouting all the key principles of Covid-19 prevention that have been drilled into us these past two months.

"Now, our risk of getting infected is going up," he said.

Dr Amar said there had been a disregard for social distancing, hand hygiene, safe mask use and group gatherings.

He said the continued behaviour of some Malaysians would allow the coronavirus to spread and result in a second wave.

According to him, the second wave will be from asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic individuals (80% of all cases) as the public returns to work and carries out other activities.

"Please do not allow our low numbers to lull us into complacency," he said, adding that every Malaysian needed to take personal action and adopt behavioural change to keep Covid-19 at a low rate while the country looks for long-term solutions.

The Ipoh-based senior consultant paediatrician, who has been tracking and analysing Covid-19 data in Malaysia, said it would be reasonable to assume at least 0.1% of the population is Covid-19 positive, which is about 32,000 cases.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Cops open murder probe after body found in Sungai Perak
Tahfiz teacher arrested for sexual assault, abuse of two boys
Zayn Rayyan case: Sept 28 set for Ismanira’s appeal decision
Indonesia foils attempt to smuggle 75.7 tonnes of tin sand to Malaysia
Agriculture and Food Security Ministry to cut import reliance amid geopolitical uncertainties
No procession for Sarawak Maulidur Rasul celebration amid haze, hot weather
Immigration lorry crash: Investigation paper to be referred to AGC on Aug 20
Cops seize over 50,000 litres of misappropriated diesel during Puchong raid
Seven-day remand for man suspected of setting woman on fire
Budget 2027: Penang urges govt to commit to establishing new financial centre

Others Also Read