PM: Almost all economic sectors, business activities can resume ops under conditional MCO starting May 4


PUTRAJAYA: Almost all economic sectors and business activities will be allowed to resume business, subject to conditions and standard operating procedure, starting May 4, announces the Prime Minister.

Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said the decision is made following advice from the Health Ministry and after lengthy discussions during the Economic Action Council, National Security Council and Cabinet Meeting.

"I am saying almost all because there will be industries and businesses that will not be allowed to operate. These are businesses that involves the presence of a lot of people where body contact and social distancing will be difficult to exercise," he said in a special address on Friday (May 1).

The full list of businesses and activities that will not be allowed can be obtained at the National Security Council website www.mkn.gov.my

The Prime Minister said that the government has clear and definite plans to fight Covid-19 and tackle the economic crisis with six strategies, including the resolve to control the infection.

He said the government has built economic resilience through the Prihatin economic stimulus package and with plans to restart the economy, systematically.

"The government will put in place an economic recovery strategy in facing the new normal.

"We will also revitalise the economy and reform the economic structure that will allow all of you to step into a new era," he said.

Muhyiddin said with the first two approaches, namely resolution to fight Covid19 and the economic stimulus package done, the government is ready to restart the economy.

"We will implement conditional movement control order (MCO) where most economic and social activities will be allowed.

"However, activities that involve mass gathering and exposing the public to the risk of being infected with Covid-19 will still not be allowed.

"We will also enforce the enhanced MCO in areas where the number of Covid-19 positive cases are high," he said.

The Prime Minister is aware that after two months of undergoing MCO, many are eager to go back to work and for traders to restart their business as livelihood is affected.

"At the same time, many are also concerned that if the order is lifted, there is a possibility of a new outbreak.

"I know you are worried. I am too. We must find a way to balance the need for the economy to recover and the importance to contain Covid-19," he said.

Muhyiddin added that the nation was losing about RM2.4bil daily during MCO, with total losses so far estimated at about RM63bil.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Melaka polls: MMA calls for ban on physical campaigning to prevent new Covid-19 wave
My beautiful home: Nur Sajat shares photos of new house in Sydney on social media
Covid-19 vaccine booster shot programme kicks off in Sabah with CM among the first to get jabbed
Federal Court allows Shafee to appeal defamation suit against Malaysian Bar
Flood: 680 healthcare workers to be mobilised in Terengganu
Awas traffic system still in force, says Deputy Transport Minister
Covid-19: Latest batch of 604,100 AstraZeneca vaccine doses arrives in Malaysia
Dirty factories: Two Penang food manufacturers shut down for two weeks
Melaka polls: Only reasonable to thank four reps who brought 'change', says Anwar
Covid-19: 5,516 new cases bring total to 2,407,382

Others Also Read


Vouchers