Ismail Sabri: Pay in two weeks’ time or go to court


  • Nation
  • Friday, 10 Apr 2020

PETALING JAYA: Those who have been slapped with RM1,000 compound notices for defying the movement control order (MCO) will have two weeks to pay the fines or be hauled to court, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (pic).

Payments could be made at the nearest district health office or police stations. He said 95 people were slapped with compound notices on Wednesday,

“They are given two weeks to pay the fine, failing which they will be hauled to court, ” he said yesterday.

Although the number of people nabbed for defying the MCO dropped by 34% from 454 on Tuesday to 300 on Wednesday, it was not good enough.

“As at April 8, the rate of compliance stood at 97%, ” he said.

Between March 18 and April 8, a total of 7,205 individuals were nabbed for defying the MCO. Of the 300 individuals nabbed on Wednesday, 252 were remanded and 48 released on bail.

Ismail Sabri also announced that the Road Transport Department would also assist the police and army at the roadblocks.

He said the authorities had on Wednesday checked 433,988 vehicles at 769 checkpoints nationwide. A total of 36,980 spot checks were carried out and 5,022 premises inspected.

So far, 954 sanitisation operations have been carried in 81 zones, including red zones (23) and orange zones (16).“On April 8,159 sanitisation operations were carried out in 61 zones in 12 states, including 29 locations in Johor and 30 in Kuala Lumpur, ” he said.

The Local Government and Housing Ministry aims to decontaminate 38 PPR (People’s Housing Projects) in red and orange zones.

Red and orange zones denote places where a relatively high number of Covid-19 cases had been detected. So far, 30 PPR enclaves have been decontaminated.

Ismail Sabri said that currently, 9,720 individuals were quarantined at 143 centres, including 24 hotels.

A total of 229 Malaysians who returned from abroad on April 8 were also placed under mandatory quarantine order.

He also announced that the enhanced MCO in Simpang Renggam and Kluang in Johor, which was imposed on March 26, would be extended to April 14.

Article type: free
User access status:

Covid-19 , Ismail Sabri , fine

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

60% readers found this article insightful

Across The Star Online