Police: No news yet on kidnapping off Lahad Datu waters


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 29 Jan 2020

KOTA KINABALU: Sabah police have not received any ransom calls linked to the kidnapping of five Indonesian fishermen from waters off Lahad Datu earlier this month.

State Police Commissioner Datuk Omar Mammah said they were still waiting for the latest update on the incident from their Filipino and Indonesian security counterparts.

“We don’t have information of any ransom calls and are still trying to find out who these cross border criminals are,” he said after a work visit to the Lahad Datu police station yesterday.

“We have been increasing our presence and as reported earlier, our security forces managed to thwart some 40 attempted kidnappings since 2018,” added Omar.

The Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) received information of the kidnapping, which is believed to have happened off Tangusu Bay on Jan 17.

The Indonesians, working for a Sandakan-based fishing company, were believed to have been abducted by six gunmen.

The kidnapped crewmen were the trawler’s skipper Arsyad Dahlan, 41, La Baa, 32, Riswanto Hayano, 27, Edi Lawalopo, 53, and Syarizal Kastamiran, 29.

It was learned that around 1pm on Jan 17, local fishermen had informed the marine police in Lahad Datu that they had spotted fishing nets in the area but could not find the trawler or its crew in the vicinity.

Security forces under Esscom were dispatched to the area immediately and by 9pm they located the trawler heading towards Tambisan before an elite squad boarded the trawler (SSK 00543) to find three crew members inside.

Article type: free
User access status:

kidnap , Indonesian fishermen , Lahad Datu

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site