PUTRAJAYA: The landowner and all residents involved in the Kampung Segambut Permai land dispute should try to resolve their issue amicably, says Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad.
Khalid said the government was merely trying to provide assistance to the residents through the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) by giving them temporary housing.
"The land in question is private land and this issue must be settled between the landowner and the residents there. DBKL was merely extending an offer of help out of humanitarian concerns," said Khalid on Monday (Dec 30).
On Dec 20, StarMetro reported that residents were told to vacate the land by the developer which owns the land.
Following a standoff on Dec 9, some residents were offered temporary housing in Public Housing Project (PPR) and Public Housing (PA) projects by DBKL for six months.
Khalid said he was alerted to the issue on the same day, after which he issued an order to the developer to halt the demolition for two weeks to give time for the residents to move.
He however stressed that the government was unable to fulfil the residents' request for permanent housing.
"They could reapply after the six-month period expired and we would review their applications to see if they qualify," said Khalid
He added that there are some 50,000 applicants on the waiting list.
"However, we will prioritise their placements into these PPR and PA units due to the urgency of the situation.
"To date, 19 families which qualified for the temporary housing had been offered units," he said after announcing the achievements of his ministry at Menara Seri Wilayah in Putrajaya.
The report by StarMetro on Dec 20 stated that some applications were denied due to some of the spouses not being Malaysian citizens and some exceeding the minimal income requirement set by DBKL.
Did you find this article insightful?