KUALA LUMPUR: Police have recorded the statements of nine individuals said to have disrespected the national anthem.
Bukit Aman CID D5 (Prosecution and Legal division) principal assistant director Senior Asst Comm Mior Faridalatrash Wahid said police had taken statements from the nine, including a woman, aged between 34 and 64.
"They were not arrested. They were called in to have their statements taken.
"They explained that the reason they did it was as a sign of protest.
"In our investigations, it does not take into consideration signs of protests or other issues.
"The law clearly stipulates that when the Negaraku is played, it is the responsibility of Malaysians to show respect," he told reporters at Bukit Aman on Wednesday (Oct 2).
He said the case was being investigated under Section 8(3) of the National Anthem Act 1968, adding that Sarawak CID had referred the investigation papers to the deputy public prosecutor for further action.
"We have suggested that the nine be charged under the law," he said.
Sarawak police had earlier called up several members of the Sarawak for Sarawakians (S4S) activist group who did not stand up during the national anthem, as seen in a video clip that went viral on social media.
The incident took place during a fundraising dinner organised by Parti Bansa Dayak Sarawak Baru (PBDSB) last Friday (Sept 27).
S4S spokesman Shaow Tung Leong (pic), who was among those called up by police over the incident, was quoted saying that their action was a "silent protest" against the Federal Government's "unfair" treatment of Sarawak.
Meanwhile on the investigation into a primary school in Penang which allegedly refrain its students from reciting Muslim prayers, SAC Mior Faridalatrash said they had already taken statements of five individuals.
"We expect to call at least nine more to have their statements recorded to complete the investigation papers.
"As of today, we have received 10 police reports, including one in Kedah and another in Selangor," he said, adding that among those who were called in to have their statements taken included the complainants and those who attended the programme.
He said they would call parents and other witnesses relevant to the programme held on that day.
Several media portals reported that a primary school in Penang was being probed for disallowing Islamic doa recitals during one of its school programmes.
The school is being investigated under Section 505(C) of the Penal Code, for intent to incite any class or community of persons to commit any offence against any other class or community of persons.
Did you find this article insightful?