PETALING JAYA: Further investigation into fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim's death will be conducted after an inquest ruled his death was caused by two or more persons unknown, says Comm Datuk Noor Azam Jamaludin.
The Selangor police chief said police would investigate who was responsible for assaulting Adib.
"We abide by the inquest's decision.
"Based on the statements recorded prior to the inquest, we will check whether there is a need to call some of the people back," he told reporters at the Selangor police headquarters on Friday (Sept 27) hours after the inquest delivered its verdict.
Police will definitely investigate the matter further, he added.
"If needed, we will record the statements again of some of those who have been called up previously," Comm Noor Azam said.
The Coroner's Court has ruled that Adib's death was caused by two or more persons unknown.
Coroner judge Rofiah Mohamad read her judgement after 41 days of inquest proceeding.
"The blunt chest trauma (on Adib) is not caused by himself (perbuatan sendiri) or (an) accident, but a criminal act by two or more persons unknown," said the coroner.
The verdicts that could have been reached by the Coroner's Court were an open verdict, a verdict of misadventure, or death by persons or persons unknown.
Adib, 24, became critically injured after he and his team members from the Subang Jaya fire station responded to an emergency call at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman Temple where a riot was taking place.
The fireman was taken to SJMC after he was found injured, before being transferred to the National Heart Institute (IJN) for further treatment, where he later died on Dec 17, at 9.41pm.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!