PETALING JAYA: A statutory declaration (SD) purportedly by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim alleging he has two-thirds support of all the Dewan Rakyat to replace Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad as prime minister is fake, says Fahmi Fadzil.
The PKR communications chief, who is also the Lembah Pantai MP, said that the commissioner of oaths who allegedly signed the SD has also said it was a fake document.
"I believe that the SD was maliciously fabricated by those who wish to take advantage of the situation for their narrow political ends," said Fahmi.
He said the message, circulated among Pakatan Harapan members, was accompanied by news reports about the SD, which is dated July 1, 2019.
The SD alleged that Anwar, as PKR president, had managed to garner two-thirds support of the MPs in the Dewan Rakyat to replace Dr Mahathir.
It further said that Anwar would now seek advice from the Yang di-Pertuan Agong for the transition of power.
"I also agree that if the transfer of power does happen, I will appoint Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin as deputy prime minister to replace Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail," the SD allegedly stated.
Dr Wan Azizah, who is also Anwar's wife, is currently the Deputy Prime Minister and Muhyiddin is the Home Minister and also the Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia president.
Dr Mahathir has repeatedly said Anwar would be taking over from him as prime minister, but has not set a definite time frame when it will happen.
In recent days, there has been some mudslinging taking place between Anwar and PKR deputy president Datuk Seri Azmin Ali.
Anwar had called upon Azmin to resign if he was positively identified as one of two men in a viral sex video and Azmin retaliated by saying Anwar should "look into the mirror" instead.
Dr Mahathir, meanwhile, had said that the sex video is a political scheme to stop someone succeeding in politics.
Nine people, including Anwar's political secretary Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak, are currently in remand over the viral sex video.
Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador said on July 19 that a leader of a political party had spent hundreds of thousands of ringgit on the video as part of an "evil conspiracy".
He also said that the video had been verified as genuine by CyberSecurity Malaysia, but the identities of the two men in the video could not be determined.