Following protest, police increase presence outside Nigerian High Comm

  • Nation
  • Friday, 12 Jul 2019

Graphic used for illustration purposes only

KUALA LUMPUR: The police will be increasing their presence at the Nigerian High Commission following a protest after the death of student Thomas Orhions Ewansiha.

“KL police will monitor the situation and increase security by performing more patrols in the area," said city police chief Comm Datuk Seri Mazlan Lazim. 

"We also urge Nigerian nationals here to obey local laws and to not take matters into their own hands. 

"The police will not hesitate to take action in preserving the peace. 

“We confirm that a protest was held there on July 11 at around 11.50am due to the recent death of a Nigerian man at the Immigration depot in Bukit Jalil," he added.

Comm Lazim said in a statement on Friday (July 12) that the protestors claimed that the High Commission had not taken responsibility for the welfare of their countryman.

The police were dispatched after a report was made by staff due to some arguments after protestors were not allowed into the office there. However, they dispersed when told to do so by the police,” he said.

Ewansiha died on Tuesday (July 9) while in Immigration Department detention after attempting to flee during a raid.

The Immigration Department stated that his arrest was conducted in accordance with set procedure. 

It said Ewansiha suffered a seizure before succumbing while still in detention on July 9. His death led to the protest outside the Nigerian High Commission.

Related stories:

Nigerian tried to flee during raid, says Immigration

Limkokwing confirms PhD student died in custody

Wisma Putra: No protest outside Malaysian High Comm in Nigeria

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Across The Star Online

Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia