Wild boar attack: Rela man still alive, another victim slain by animal

MELAKA: The man killed by a wild boar attack on Wednesday (May 26) is not the Rela People's Volunteer Corps (Rela) member who was gored earlier, says Melaka Agriculture, Agro-based, Entrepreneur Development and Cooperative Committee chairman, Norhizam Hassan Baktee.

Norhizam said he received a message on the death of Rela man, Adnan Abdullah, 52, at 3am on Saturday (June 1) and rushed to the Melaka Hospital to help Adnan's family.

"However, I was told Adnan was still alive and in stable condition, but a 19-year-old had been supposedly killed by a wild boar on Wednesday," he said on Saturday (June 1).

Norhizam said the confusion emerged after his welfare officers received a message at 2.50am on Saturday, informing them that the victim of a wild boar attack had died at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in the wee hours.

He said his officers only knew that Adnan was the only one who had been attacked by the wild animal and had been receiving treatment at the ICU for the past two weeks.

According to him, they did not realise that it was a similar case instead.

"I apologise on behalf of my officer for saying Adnan had died.

"Thank God, he is still alive and recuperating well," he said.

Adnan, a full-time Rela officer, was attacked by a raging wild boar at Kampung Air Tawar in Merlimau on May 17.

Norhizam said the Wednesday attack at KM5, AMJ Highway, in Serkam involved a factory worker from Kampung Lanchang in Merlimau.

He said the victim, Muhammad Alif Norhizam, and another motorcyclist, Muhammad Irfan Mohamed, were believed to have been rammed by the wild boar.

The other motorcyclist escaped unhurt.

Norhizam said there is a sign warning of wild boar crossing at the stretch where the accident occurred.

"The latest incidents warrant us taking action against the growing population of wild boar," he added.

Meanwhile, Jasin OCPD Deputy Supt Arshad Abu confirmed the Wednesday incident and the death of the 19-year-old.

Related stories:

Rela man dies two weeks after wild boar attack


Across The Star Online