Facebook blocks Sabah-Sarawak Merdeka account for insulting Agong


PETALING JAYA: The Sabah-Sarawak Merdeka account has been blocked by Facebook in connection with posting a doctored photo of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, says Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun.

The Inspector-General of Police said while the Facebook page has been blocked, members of the public are advised not to spread or share the screenshots of the posting, which contains the modified picture of Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah.

"People must not spread in any communication network or social media.

"The posting was aimed to incite provocation that could disrupt public order," he said in a statement on Sunday (April 14).

The police have so far received 209 police reports regarding the matter, he added.

"We are still diligently tracking down the Facebook account holder," he said.

"We are investigating the matter under Section 4(1)(a) of the Sedition Act," he said.

The country's top cop said those arrested can be fined not more than RM5,000, or face up to three years' jail or both upon conviction, he added.

On Friday (April 12), Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had tasked Bukit Aman with investigating and taking serious action against the culprits.

Muhyiddin had condemned the posting, saying: "Modifying the photo is an act that insults the monarchy, and it is clearly against the law."

 


   

Across The Star Online