Shot Malaysians recovering but still traumatised


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 24 Mar 2019

Kuala Lumpur: The three Malaysians who were shot in the Christchurch terror attack are recovering from their injuries, says Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Mujahid Yusof.

The good news was relayed by Mujahid only hours after returning from New Zealand to join the “Solidarity4Peace” rally at Dataran Merdeka.

“My first visit was to see Mohd Rahimi Ahmad.

“Coincidentally, he had regained consciousness after being taken off critical life support when I was there to see him,” he told reporters when met after the event.

He said Mohd Rahimi, 39, who was shot twice, was able to speak and thanked Malaysians who had prayed for him while he was in the intensive care unit.

Mujahid added that Mohd Nazril Hisham Omar, 46, who was also warded in the intensive care unit, has since been transferred to an ordinary ward.

Mujahid said he also managed to visit Mohd Tarmizi Shuib, 42, whose son Mohd Haziq Mohd Tarmizi, 17, was one of those killed.

Getting better: Mujahid visiting Mohd Nazril at Christchurch hospital in New Zealand.

“I visited him at his house. He is now able to walk with the aid of a walking stick.

“However, he remains unsteady as there are bullet fragments still lodged in his rear,” he said.

Although recovering from their wounds, he said the three Malay­sians were still traumatised.

Asked if opposition leaders had been invited to the rally, Mujahid said the invitation was extended to their lawmakers and leaders.

“It is up to them whether they want to come or not, we cannot force them,” he said.

No opposition leaders or suppor­ters were spotted among those who turned up for the rally.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site