KUANTAN: The Water, Land and Natural Resources Ministry will be holding a public hearing and engagement with all parties on the new bauxite mining standard operating procedure (SOP).
The ministry said in a statement that this was to ensure improvements to the SOP that covered all aspects including mining planning, bauxite mining site management, transportation and enforcement, stockpile site and port management as well as exportation procedures, could be implemented.
"To ensure the involvement of all parties, this engagement that will be held before March 31 will also take into account the interests of the people as well as environmental NGOs," it said.
The ministry also said the public would be able to access and scrutinise the SOP at a date to be announced.
"The ministry is committed to ensure all complaints from the people, especially those who are directly affected by bauxite mining activities, are heard in line with the ministry's vision as a leader in sustainable management of water, land and natural resources for the country's prosperity," it said.
The effort would receive cooperation from the Department of Environment, Energy, Science, Technology, Environment and Climate Change Ministry and the Pahang government.
Minister Dr Xavier Jayakumar announced recently that the bauxite mining moratorium, which had been in place since 2016, would not be extended after March 31.
He said the Cabinet had agreed to a new SOP and a meeting with stakeholders would be held to make sure all were prepared to abide by the conditions.