KOTA KINABALU: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has detained another suspect in Sandakan in the investigation into suspicious food supply contracts worth nearly RM20mil with the state education department.
The 28-year-old contractor, the 26th arrested so far since Monday, has been remanded for seven days by the Sandakan Magistrates Court on Thursday (Jan 17).
MACC investigators have remained tight-lipped over the investigation, but it is believed that fake documents, including falsified bank statements, were used to secure contracts.
According to sources, the contracts worth nearly RM20mil involved supplying food to school hostels, among others.
It was learnt that the latest suspect is being probed over a RM2.26mil Sabah Education Department contract in 2016.
Sources said that the contractors were possibly fronting for bigger players.
However, the sources said that they were going through documents to establish if they were paid off by others to use their trading licences.
They are also looking at the possibility that certain department officials were involved.
To date, a total of 13 contractors have been detained in Kota Kinabalu, five in Tawau, four in Keningau as well as two each in Sandakan and Lahad Datu.