KUALA LUMPUR: Some 13 detainees involved in the Al-Ma'unah incident are still in prison as of Oct 3, said the Home Ministry.
According to a parliamentary written reply, four detainees have been sentenced to death, 10 detainees have been released while two others have died after receiving treatment in the hospital due to illness.
"So far, none of the detainees have been given a pardon by the state Pardons Board," said the Home Ministry in reply to a question from Ahmad Marzuk Shaary (PAS-Pengkalan Chepa).
Ahmad Marzuk had asked the Home Ministry to state the number of individuals who are still detained for being involved in the Al-Ma'unah incident in 2000.
The Al-Ma'unah group members had sparked a major security alert after a four-day standoff with security forces in Perak in a mission to overthrow the government.
The Home Ministry said the opportunity to obtain a pardon or to seek an appeal on their sentences can still be made to the state Pardons Board.
"The Prisons Department had conducted the detainment and meted out the punishment on the detainees including those involved in Al-Maunah based on the current laws, including the arrest warrant which was obtained from the court," added the Home Ministry.
"The Al-Maunah case has gone through the due legal process which was fair and transparent from the beginning of its trial until the sentencing.
"Therefore, no issue should arise involving the Al-Maunah incident," explained the Home Ministry.