Severe punishment for teachers involved in sexual misconduct says Teo


Deputy Education Minister Teo Nie Ching. -Bernama filepic

KEPALA BATAS (Bernama): The Ministry of Education will take stern action against any of its teaching staff found to have been involved in sexual misconduct cases.

Deputy Minister Teo Nie Ching (pic) said the ministry would not hesitate to take severe disciplinary action against  those involved when the case has been decided by the court.

"We want to emphasise here that the ministry will in no way compromise on sexual crime cases involving teachers as we take this matter very seriously," she told reporters after visiting a new school project site in Bandar Putra Bertam, here today.

She said this when asked to comment on a principal of a school here, who had been remanded for allegedly sodomising a Year Five pupil and a Form One student.

She said the teacher involved would be stationed at the District Education Office (PPD) until the police investigation was completed.

"When the investigation is over, disciplinary procedures would be initiated,” she said.

Teo also urged other victims to come forward to lodge a report so that appropriate action could be taken.

"We encourage all victims to come forward to lodge a report either with the district office or the ministry,” she said adding that counselling would be provided to victims.

In BUTTERWORTH, Bernama reported that the principal who allegedly sodomised the two students has been remanded for another three days to facilitate investigations.

Seberang Perai Utara (SPU) district police chief ACP Noorzainy Mohd Noor, said the 55-year-old, whose remand was expiring today, was arrested on Thursday (Oct 25).

“But police have received an extension of the remand order for another three days until Oct 31 to enable us to complete the investigation papers. 

"After the investigation papers are ready, they will be referred to the public prosecutor for further action,” he said here on Sunday (Oct 28).

On Tuesday (Oct 23), Bernama reported that the police were investigating two reports made by a Year Five student and a Form One student, claiming they had been sodomised by the man while they were participating in an education programme recently, at the school where he was the principal.

The two boys, aged 11 and 13, lodged their reports after telling their respective families.

 

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June
Plight of two families in Banting fire draws Anwar's attention

Others Also Read