DOSH to look at work site’s procedures after mishap


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 14 Oct 2018

BALIK PULAU: The contractor of the 600m elevated road project linking Jalan Bukit Kukus to Jalan Tun Sardon here has been issued with a stop-work order.

The order came following a mishap on the site where 14 concrete beams measuring 25m each fell onto a slope in Jalan Tun Sardon on Thursday.

Eleven beams broke apart in the 8.30pm incident. However, no injuries were reported.

It is learnt that a crane operator accidentally knocked down one of the beams laid on the ground, causing others to fall onto the slope like dominoes.

Penang Department of Occupa­tional Safety and Health (DOSH) director Mohd Rosdee Yaacob said the contractor had been instructed to be present at the DOSH office tomorrow for a meeting.

“We are reviewing the standard operating procedures at the work site.

“For now, the contractor is not allowed to load and unload other concrete beams,” he said yesterday

Mohd Rosdee said his officers were only sent to the site on Friday as they were not immediately informed of the incident.

State Works Committee chairman Zairil Khir Johari said the contractor had been told to prepare a full report for DOSH.

He said the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) would also initiate an internal inquiry tomorrow.

The construction of the elevated road, together with the upgrading of a 1.1km stretch along Lebuhraya Thean Teik and a 1.5km stretch along Lebuh Bukit Jambul, is a MBPP project costing RM275.6mil and is scheduled for completion early next year.

The three segments are part of the project for the construction of the RM545mil alternative road – Jalan Bukit Kukus – to help ease traffic snarls along Jalan Paya Terubong, which is an arterial road linking Bayan Baru, Balik Pulau and Air Itam.

The construction works involve linking Lebuhraya Thean Teik in Bandar Baru Air Itam and Lebuh Bukit Jambul in Penang via Jalan Bukit Kukus, building an elevated U-turn along Lebuh Bukit Jambul for those who want to make a turn and go back to Relau.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

High Court dismisses Najib's stay application involving RM1.69bil tax arrears
Khairy: Over 30,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccines to be sent to Labuan in coming week
Khairy: Govt is projecting private practitioners will give 145,000 jabs daily by July
Cops: Only three areas in Kg Sungai Penchala under EMCO
Covid-19: 59,895 Category 4, 5 patients between April and June, says Health Minister
Nur Sajat sought as witness in fraud case
Covid-19: New cases drop below 5,000 mark, with 4,949 reported
Police seize smuggled smokes worth RM7.6mil
Khairy: Approximately 4.5mil people have registered for Covid-19 vaccination's second phase
Lam Thye: Recovery Plan timely, measures to cushion pandemic effects needed

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers